- Write something.
- Re read what you just wrote, write some more.
- Edit what you wrote.
- Print what you wrote.
- Distribute what you printed.
- Now, it's out of your hands. If you need to make a correction, you have to go back to Step 1, and repeat the whole process.
Publishing to the web is simpler, and yet more complex.
- If you have no reputation, write what you can, now.
- Advertise what you have.
- As you get reputation from your writing and advertising, write more.
- As you get feedback from your readers, go back to what you wrote, and change some of it.
- Change content.
- Add content.
- Organise the content.
- Make the content attractive.
- Repeat, as necessary.
- Publish what you can, now.
- Publish more, later.
Progressive Publishing is a strategy which lets your online content be, simultaneously, accurate, attractive, complete, relevant, and timely. A similar strategy is used by Blogger, who releases their improvements, progressively - though not always, painlessly.
(Update 2009/10/02): Today, we saw a small yet significant change, which makes progressive publishing slightly easier.