Friday, November 14, 2008

FTP Publishing - November 2008

This month, we again see reports of several frequent FTP Publishing problem symptoms. The well known
Your publish is taking longer than expected. To continue waiting for it to finish, click here.
and
ConnectException: Connection timed out.


These symptoms have been seen fairly recently, but now we have an additional detail. Some reports are from bloggers who have examined the server activity and firewall logs, and who explicitly state that the server is getting no incoming traffic. This could, conceivably, be another episode of the Server IP address / Name setting change.

If you are suffering from this problem, please provide diagnostic information
  • The blog BlogSpot URL (if applicable).
  • The blog domain URL.
  • The name of the server hosting company.
  • The Blogger FTP server setting value.
as part of your problem report, in BHG: Publishing Trouble. Please, be socially conscious and start a new thread for your report.


>> Top

3 comments:

Kevin said...

My blog mysteriously stopped publishing with the connectexception error. Changing:

ftp.sitename.com

to

sitename.com

fixed the problem.

Wild supposition: someone at Blogger decided to prefix all ftp server names with "ftp." without checking first to see if the user-supplied server name already contained the ftp. prefix.

Matthew Hunt said...

Kevin, thank you so much! This fix worked for me, too.

Mr.Bob said...

I was having the same problem and was looking around for a fix for a while. For me, I noticed the permissions on my files (blog.html, individual blog posts, and archive posts) had permission set to read only (444). I added permission to write on the file (644) and it worked fine. Hope it helps someone.