Skip to main content

Diagnosing Problems With Custom Domains - Case Study #2

The DNS setup shown in my first custom domain case study, "", isn't typical for all custom domains. That domain, as I showed in my previous post in this series, Diagnosing Problems With Custom Domains - Case Study #1, was symmetrical - both "" and "" were defined with "CNAME" referrals, and I could have published the blog to either of the two URLs.

When you setup a custom domain while using the "Buy A Domain For Your Blog" wizard, this isn't going to be the case. In this case, the "www" alias will be defined with a "CNAME", but the primary domain won't be.

Let's take a look at "".

There are 4 URLs to study here.
  1. The primary domain "".
  2. The "www" alias for the domain "".
  3. The primary BlogSpot URL "".
  4. The "www" alias for the BlogSpot URL "".

First, let's dig the DNS records for the primary domain "".
; IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION: 3600 IN A 3600 IN A 3600 IN A

Next, the "www" alias "".
; IN A


This is different from my previous case study.  3600 IN A 3600 IN A 3600 IN A 3600 IN CNAME

Here, only the "www" alias is using a "CNAME", and the wizard automatically publishes the blog to that. In my case, to "".

Now, let's look at browser connect logs. First, this is what we get for the "www" alias in the domain "".
3/29/2008 08:50:42  Trying
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Next, the primary domain "".
3/29/2008 08:50:17  Trying
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

As in the previous study, we see
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily

This appears to be automatic, and it makes sense. When you setup a brand new domain, you'll likely want the primary domain = the "www" alias. The "302 Moved Temporarily" is a bit dodgy though.

Now, let's look at the BlogSpot URLs.
3/29/2008 08:56:48  Trying
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

3/29/2008 08:56:38  Trying
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8

Both "" and "" redirect to "", again as in the previous study. This is a asymmetrical, but complete setup - that is, you can see your blog from any of the 4 aliases enumerated above. In earlier setups using the "Buy a Domain ..." wizard, the above results weren't consistently seen.

>> Top


Octamom said…
Hey There!

Very much appreciating your site--great info, well organized. I found you through through Google groups and think you might have the expertise to help me out.

I purchased a custom domain through blogspot and have been pleased; however, my readers who are trying to subscribe through Google Reader are not getting my feeds--every other reader seems to work (Mozilla, Yahoo, etc)--Google is the only one not working. I'm burning through Feedburner--just can't seem to figure this out--

Blog is (custom domain)
original url is

On my setting, I left the 'carrhop' code from Feedburner as the address under the premise and promise that in purchasing the custom domain, things would be redirected. That has been true in every case except Google Reader.

If you've already covered a case study specific to Google Reader issues, I apologize. I just didn't see anything on a feed being recognized by other readers but not Google--
Thanks so much.
email is

Popular posts from this blog

Stats Components Are Significant, In Their Own Context

One popular Stats related accessory, which displays pageview information to the public, is the "Popular Posts" gadget.

Popular Posts identifies from 1 to 10 of the most popular posts in the blog, by comparing Stats pageview counts. Optional parts of the display of each post are a snippet of text, and an ever popular thumbnail photo.

Like many Stats features, blog owners have found imaginative uses for "Popular Posts" - and overlook the limitations of the gadget. Both the dynamic nature of Stats, and the timing of the various pageview count recalculations, create confusion, when Popular Posts is examined.

Help! I Can't See My Blog!

I just posted to my blog, so I know that it's there. I can tell others are looking at it. But I can't see it.

Well, the good news is you don't have a blog hijack or other calamity. Your blog is not gone.

Apparently, some ISPs are blocking *, or maybe have network configuration or infrastructure problems. You can access or you can access, but you can't access, or

You can't access them directly, that is. If you can access any free, anonymous proxy servers, though, you may be able to access your blog.

Note: You can use PKBlogs with the URL pre packaged. Here is the address of this post (with gratuitous line breaks to prevent the old post sidebar alignment problem):

And an additional URL, to provide to those suffering from this problem, would be the WordPress version of this post: