Blog owners who use LiveWriter, and similar third party products, to compose and publish posts, have reported authentication problems.
I have used Windows Live Writer, to publish to my blog, for years. I now cannot publish, and the message I get is that the ID and password are not correct.
Many products besides WLW are disabled.
One blog owner observed that Windows LiveWriter was not the only offline editor affected, by a recent change.
The problem is not with Microsoft is with ALL external soft. Do not work with Zoundry Raven, BlogJet, Post2Blog, PowerBlog Personal Client, W.Bloggar, Windows Live Writer, etc.
Blogger explained the problem.
After some research, Blogger Support issued an explanation.
It looks like this error is a result of an authentication problem between Google and Live Writer. A long time ago, we announced we were deprecating our old authentication system and we encouraged developers to move to the new one (OAuth 2.0). It seems that Live Writer is still using our old system, which is causing the issue. We are currently looking into it, but we suggest that users also reach out to Microsoft to report the issue.So, now we wait.
Most blog owners know the reality of the latter advice.
Microsoft is even less responsive than Google, when product modifications are needed.One blog owner did contact Microsoft, to no avail.
We have a simple workaround.
The current workaround, used by various blog owners, is to compose using LiveWriter, and publish using Blogger.
- Compose and format a post, using LiveWriter.
- Copy the composed post, from LiveWriter, as HTML.
- Make a new post, using Blogger.
- Paste the new post, into Blogger Post Editor, in HTML Mode.
- Publish the new post, from Blogger Post Editor.
The workaround is not perfect.
The workaround has disadvantages.
- Photos added, when composing in LiveWriter, won't be transferred to Blogger Post Editor. You'll need to upload photos using "Insert image", in Post Editor -then compose and format text around the photos.
- You may need to check the HTML content for excessive formatting meta code.
- Be wary, when switching between Compose and HTML modes, in Post Editor.
- This technique may or may not work, with all third party products.
We have a second, slightly more complicated workaround.
If you really want to use LiveWriter to compose the posts, and have lots of photos, we have a second workaround, slightly more complicated.
- Enable Mail-to-Blogger, selecting "Save emails as draft post".
- Compose posts with photos, in LiveWriter.
- Copy and paste a semi completed post, into your email client.
- Email the post, to Blogger, using Mail-to-Blogger. Mail-to-Blogger will add the photos for you, in Blogger.
- Use Blogger Post Editor, in HTML mode. Copy and paste back into LiveWriter. Now, the LiveWriter editor has the photos, under the Blogger URLs.
- Make the final picture and text format changes.
- Copy, and paste back to Blogger Post Editor, in HTML mode.
- Preview, then Publish the new post.
We were warned of the change - though maybe not as effectively as one would wish. Maybe the latter workaround will take some of the sting away.
(Update 6/1 21:00): We're seeing reports that the problem with Live Writer is resolved - and people are reporting ability to publish posts with photos. Now, various third party products remain out of service - some may not be upgradable, because they have been abandoned by the publisher.