I added a gadget using code from a third party website - but the new gadget shows the code, instead of the gadget content, when I view my blog!This is somebody who was confused by the options offered by the gadget setup wizard.
- Configure Text
- When the wizard is in HTML mode, the caption at the upper right border of the Content window will read "Rich Text". Positioning the cursor over "Rich Text" (and noting that the cursor does not change to a pointer), and clicking on "Rich Text", brings up the Text mode of the wizard.
- When the wizard is in Text mode, the caption will read "Edit Html" - and clicking on "Edit Html" puts the wizard into HTML mode, again.
- If you want to add text (Rich Text), you will want the caption to read "Edit Html".
If you're in the wrong mode, you'll be able to enter a limited amount of content - but with odd results.
- If you're in HTML mode (with "Rich Text" showing), you'll be able to enter text - to a limited degree. HTML is simply fancy text, with tags (special keywords and symbols). The HTML editor toolbar will lack a few buttons, and using special characters like ampersand ("&"), greater than (">"), and less than ("<"), will produce random and unpredictable results.
- If you're in Text mode (with "Edit html" showing), you'll be able to enter the HTML code - but when the blog is displayed, you'll see code (which is just text) in place of a working gadget.
If you just added a new gadget - and ended up with visible code, when you tried to setup an HTML gadget - now you know why. Similarly, if the "Save" button is now broken, and you are trying to add or update a Text gadget.