Skip to main content

Diagnosing Problems With Custom Domains - Case Study #2b

Encouraged by my ability to setup my own personal custom domain, I persuaded my bud Bob to do likewise. Now, Bob isn't a techie (so he would tell you), but he does know how to follow procedure. And I encouraged him to try it.
its easier than it looks
So, just last night, Bob tells me in his usual taciturn way
OK - It's http://robertosblogs.net
then later
EXACTLY the way you described in your post


But - and it seems like there's always a "but" with Blogger - the results were not quite the same.


Let's take a look at "robertosblogs.net".

There are 4 URLs to study here.
  1. The primary domain "robertosblogs.net".
  2. The "www" alias for the domain "www.robertosblogs.net".
  3. The primary BlogSpot URL "roberto-dot-net.blogspot.com".
  4. The "www" alias for the BlogSpot URL "www.roberto-dot-net.blogspot.com".


I started by examining his DNS setup. First, the primary domain "robertosblogs.net".
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;robertosblogs.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
robertosblogs.net. 3600 IN A 64.233.179.121
robertosblogs.net. 3600 IN A 66.249.81.121
robertosblogs.net. 3600 IN A 72.14.207.121



Next, the "www" alias "www.robertosblogs.net".
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.robertosblogs.net. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.robertosblogs.net. 3600 IN CNAME ghs.google.com.
ghs.google.com. 520167 IN CNAME ghs.l.google.com.
ghs.l.google.com. 300 IN A 72.14.207.121

DNS looks just like my results. Spot on, Bob.

Look at the browser connect logs. Start with the "www" alias.
4/5/2008 23:26:56 Trying http://www.robertosblogs.net
Header:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


OK, here.

4/5/2008 23:26:28 Trying http://robertosblogs.net
Redirect!
Header:
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: http://www.robertosblogs.net
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


This looks good too. The key item here being
HTTP/1.0 302 Moved Temporarily
Location: http://www.robertosblogs.net


The BlogSpot results though, not so good. At least, not consistent with mine.

4/5/2008 23:31:12 Trying http://roberto-dot-net.blogspot.com
Header:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


look at my BlogSpot
3/29/2008 08:56:48 Trying http://nitecruzr-dot-net.blogspot.com
Redirect!
Header:
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.nitecruzr.net/
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


And his "www" BlogSpot is the same.

4/5/2008 23:44:46 Trying http://www.roberto-dot-net.blogspot.com
Header:
HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


contrasted with mine
3/29/2008 08:56:38 Trying http://www.nitecruzr-dot-net.blogspot.com
Redirect!
Header:
HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://www.nitecruzr.net/
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8


And what is very interesting is the link to the blog, from the dashboard!
Roberto Dot Net        View Blog

which leads to a rather intriguing advice
Your blog is in transition

Your blog's new address is http://www.robertosblogs.net/. Since it takes time for this new address to be available all over the Internet, you can still get to it at http://roberto-dot-net.blogspot.com.

Your new address should work for everyone after at most 3 days. At that time we will redirect your readers from your old address to the new one.


Stay tuned, or use the above link ("Roberto Dot Net") from time to time. This will be interesting to watch. I made the above observations, initially, at 23:00 PST, 5/4/2008. It's now 08:00 PDT, 7/4/2008, and the results are the same.
Your blog is in transition


>> (Update 4/26): After much thought, and several interesting discussions in Google Blogger Help, I conclude that the "In Transition" period is simply Blogger allowing the "Buy A Domain" wizard to compensate for DNS latency.

>> (Update 4/9): We see now that Blogger has mentioned this possibility, in How do I buy a custom domain through Blogger?

>> (Update 22:00 4/8): The Roberto Dot Net dashboard link now links directly to Roberto Dot Net.

>> Forum thread links: bX-*00074

>> Copy this tag: bX-*00074

>> Top

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Custom Domain Migration - Managing The Traffic

Your blog depends upon traffic for its success.

Anything that affects the traffic to your blog, such as any change in the URL, affects the success of your blog. Publishing the blog to a custom domain, like renaming the blog, will affect traffic to your blog. The effects of the change will vary from blog to blog, because of the different traffic to every different blog.Followers. People who find your blog because of recommendations by other people.Search engines. Robotic processes which methodically surf your blog, and provide dynamic indexing to people who search for information.Subscribers. People who read your content from their newsfeed reader, such as the dashboard Reading List.Viewers. People who read your content from their browser.No two blogs are the same - and no two blogs will have the same combinations of traffic sources.

Stats Components Are Significant, In Their Own Context

One popular Stats related accessory, which displays pageview information to the public, is the "Popular Posts" gadget.

Popular Posts identifies from 1 to 10 of the most popular posts in the blog, by comparing Stats pageview counts. Optional parts of the display of each post are a snippet of text, and an ever popular thumbnail photo.

Like many Stats features, blog owners have found imaginative uses for "Popular Posts" - and overlook the limitations of the gadget. Both the dynamic nature of Stats, and the timing of the various pageview count recalculations, create confusion, when Popular Posts is examined.