Thursday, July 05, 2007

bX-mzm63b

As of right now, 9 threads in Google Blogger Help forums, apparently all started today. As WildFires go, this isn't a big one, but it's got growing potential (not a big one in the beginning!). This is surely the problem of the week, and might be for next week too.

Blogger Employee advises
I believe that message means that you've got some invalid HTML in your post template. You can reach your post template on the Settings | Formatting tab.


It's quite simple.
  • Go to the Settings - Formatting wizard.
    • The bottom most window on the page, "Post Template", will contain funky code.
    • Copy and paste the code in the window, if you wish, so you can restore it later.
    • Clear what's in the window, and Save Settings.
  • Go to the Settings - Basic wizard, and look under Global Settings. If the transliteration button is enabled, disable it and Save Settings.


>> (Update 7/6 8:00): Now 21 threads in the forum.

>> (Update 7/6 14:00): Blogger Employee advises us
We are looking into this issue to see how the problematic code got inserted into the post template.


>> (Update 7/8 12:00): This WildFire is still burning. You need to clean out your post template, under Settings - Formatting. Then, report it to Blogger. This is a fairly simple (though intrusive) workaround, and I'm betting it won't be solved immediately.

I'm wondering if there's a connection between the earlier post template corruption problems (or maybe to efforts to resolve them?)?

>> (Update 7/8 16:30): Latest forum thread count: 136.

>> (Update 7/9 19:00): Latest forum thread count: 193. 8-0 8-0 8-0

>> Forum thread links: bX-mzm63b

>> Top

11 comments:

Charles Krugel 312-804-3851 said...

I've been receiving the error message. I took your suggestion.

I just went into my "Settings" and
went into "Post Template." I deleted all text there. Immediately, I could get into the new post part of my dashboard, but couldn't publish.

Intuitively, I then removed the "Hindi" translation widget, which I installed for the hell of it. Immediately,
the "error" was fixed, and I can publish again.

Thanks for your help.

Chuck Krugel

Techsplorer (Eagan, MN) said...

I had this problem until I took out some Template Tags from my "Post Template".

Wonder why Blogger doesn't allow them anymore. . . .

Tom said...

But don't I NEED that text on the template page? (To title the blog, provide links, bio, etc.)

Any idea for how to fix this without having to recreate the text? If I deleted it all, I could never recreate it. If I copy first and save it as text somewhere, wouldn't pasting it back in just give me the same problem?

Chuck said...

Clearing your post template is what we call a workaround. If you can't solve the problem, you use a workaround, so you can get your work done.

Since the workaround appears effective, we now have valuable diagnostic clues, to enable Blogger to find and fix the actual problem.

The first step is getting Blogger to acknowledge the problem.

dwarbi said...

I haven't had any luck and I tried the workaround suggested... but my error code it a bit different: bX-6gid0l

Bummer. I was hoping to get an entry in while here in Germany, but I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Thanks for the site, though... it put my mind at ease that it wasn't my fault!

Nina Yakushova said...

I had the same problem, finally found the post template (I'm using the French version but all the help is in English so I turned around for a while…) and cleared it, I can post again but the list oflinks I'd made to the other blogs I like has disappeared and other blocks have moved…

Chuck said...

Nina,

Like I said above, clearing the post template is a workaround, not a final solution.

We have to encourage Blogger to find, and fix, the problem itself.

Jim Chadwick said...

Thanks for your help. I went into the Post Template as suggested and noticed I got a comment telling me there was a problem with the coding in that box, even though I have never touched it. I never even use this code, by the way. When I create a new post, I just delete it, but it's presence there wouldn't even allow me to access the new posting area.

Anyway, I didn't have to delete it; I just fixed the code and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Jim Chadwick said...

Thanks for your help. I went into the Post Template as suggested and noticed I got a comment telling me there was a problem with the coding in that box, even though I have never touched it. I never even use this code, by the way. When I create a new post, I just delete it, but it's presence there wouldn't even allow me to access the new posting area.

Anyway, I didn't have to delete it; I just fixed the code and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Di said...

Thank you SO much! ahhh

Webtivity Bradenton Florida Website Designs said...

Thanks so much, you saved me hours or redesign!