The wizard is very versatile, and resilient. But sometimes, you won't be able to add or reposition a page element, when you want to.
There are several key settings in the template, for any section of the blog - Footer, Header, Main (Posts), and Sidebar - that affect your ability to add a new page element into that section - or edit or reposition specific elements.
- Maximum page element count.
- Preferred container flag.
- Show link to Add a Page Element (possibly phrased as "Add a Gadget").
- Edit or reposition this element.
Here's a typical Header page element, from the Edit HTML wizard for a Minima template.
<b:section class='header' id='header' maxwidgets='1' showaddelement='no'>
<b:widget id='HTML3' locked='false' title='' type='HTML'/>
Further down in the template, we have a Sidebar page element.
<b:section class='sidebar' id='sidebar' preferred='yes'>
<b:widget id='LinkList1' locked='false' title='Key Articles' type='LinkList'/>
<b:widget id='Label1' locked='false' title='Topics' type='Label'/>
There are several key settings, in these examples.
- The maxwidgets='1' setting in the Header section, says only 1 element, ie the header, can be part of the Header section. Change this count to a greater value, or delete what's there right now, if you wish to add (or reposition) a page element here.
- The preferred='yes' setting in the Sidebar section says that any new page element, by default, will be placed at the top of the Sidebar. To add a new element into the header, and with the other settings permitting, you must drag the new element from the sidebar, into the header.
- The showaddelement='no' setting in the Header section says that there will be no link to add a new page element in the Header. To add a new page element into the Header, and with the other settings permitting, you must select the "Add a Page Element" ("Add a Gadget") link in the Sidebar section, add a new element into the sidebar, then drag the new element from the sidebar, into the header.
- The locked='false' setting says that this page element can be edited or moved, with the other settings permitting.
As an alternative solution, you may be able to use the template editor "Revert widget templates to default" wizard.
Now, besides the key settings, which affect the ability to add gadgets in general, some folks may need to be reminded of what gadgets are.