Almost all blog owners are used to this feature, and complaints about its interference are finally rare. Recently, we've seen a new scenario where it is involved.
The best way to look for a problem with auto pagination is from looking at the source code, for the blog page being displayed. Recently, we see very odd code, using the browser View - Source menu option. Note the " ... " snippet, in the example below, represents several hundred lines of similar content, intentionally removed just so this post can be displayed, without triggering auto pagination.
<div class='post-body entry-content' id='post-body-4264362262036694355'>
<div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;"><img alt="" border="0" height="320" src="data:image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAZAAAAGQCAIAAAAP3aGbAAAgAElEQVR4nOy991McyfLuff/uN96433tPnHWS8EYgJDzIgATCSHgz3sMw3g8DY9t3j2tTlfeH6h4GhLSglXbFqp/ ... Bgv9ZBgs9CB3U7WL3IbBQg+EwUIPsns8tcv3/Xhg/N51KwwWeggMFnqQ+4J1HwwWeggMFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSg0MFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSg0MFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSg0MFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSg0MFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSg0MFkIoNTBYCKHUwGAhhFIDg4UQSo3/Awmz0KzZb0OtAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC" width="320" /></div>
This problem is similar to the effect of post content being formatted by Microsoft Word. The blog post, when normally viewed, appears quite reasonable in size - the problem can only be seen when the post source code is examined.
Base64 encoding lets the content of a graphic file be hosted in the HTML code, rather than having the image stored separately, as a file in an image hosting server, like Picasa. A blog post containing one or more Base64 encoded images is going to be excruciatingly large, and is going to trigger auto pagination.
If you are reading this post because your blog has this problem, please help us diagnose this problem. If you have a forum discussion, in Blogger Help Forum: Something Is Broken, where we are diagnosing your problem, please provide these details, as best possible, in the discussion.
- Do you add these images to your posts using Post Editor?
- If so, how are you adding the images? Do you upload them, from your computer, using an image picker? Or do you add them directly from the web, using a web URL? Or do you drag and drop the images from a web page into the post editor window?
- Do you use "Old editor" or "Updated editor" (specified in Settings - Basic - Global Settings)?
- Do you use Compose, or "Edit HTML", to compose your posts?
- Are you using Draft Blogger (blue "B" logo), or production Blogger (orange "B" logo)?
- When you edit your posts, what brand and version browser do you use?
- What format are the images, when added? "bmp", "jpg", "png"?
- If the images come from your computer, are you using any image editor, to create or alter the images?
(Update 2011/06): General feedback suggests that most people whose blogs show this problem uploaded the images in question by dragging and dropping them from another browser window, into the Blogger post editor window - or by use of the "From the web" option in the "Insert image" wizard. That being the case, the resolution per post is reasonably simple.