Not everybody wants convenience. Some folks see using their email account for Blogging as an invasion of privacy. Others are afraid of losing their email account, and losing Blogger access at the same time.
The good news is that Google accounts are free, and you can set up another, or as many as you like. And, you can use either an existing or new email address, GMail or other, as you like.
- Go to your GMail main window.
- In the lower left of the window, find "Invite a friend".
- Enter your email address (yes, the address displayed).
- When you get the invitation from yourself, open and accept it.
- Choose any new Google address that pleases you (and that's available).
- Log out of your current GMail account, and into your new account.
- Transfer your blogs to your new Google account.
If you're going to use one GMail account for your email, and another for Blogger / Google Groups / whatever, don't get confused when you find that you have to login periodically, to either your Blogger, your Google Email, or your Google Groups, sessions. Many Bloggers (myself included) have found that the various Google cookies used tend to be confused by the various activities.
Whatever email account that you base your Blogger account on, please be sure that it's an active account, able to process automated email invitations, and keep it active.